Tuesday 27 May 2008

Success! Completed Bob Graham Round in 23 hours and 15 minutes

I have done it. At 0015 on Monday I arrived back at the Moot Hall after a wonderful and very testing day out on the fells and having completed the Bob Graham Round.
I am not sure it has really sunk in - even after two nights of dreaming about it but I am really thrilled by the experience and the outcome.
I have been for a gentle bike ride today and the legs are starting to settle down. I have just had a celebratory glass of wine at a friends house in Lancaster where I am writing this blog.
I am still on holiday this week in the Lakes and will post a detailed description of the round when I get back next week but briefly: I was quick (unintentionally) on the first 2 legs and then lost a bit of time on the next 2. On the last leg I was pretty tired and I lost nearly half an hour coming off Robinson before managing a gentle jog/shuffle back to the Moot Hall.
I was not on my own all day as another contender (Patrick from Gloucestershire) started his round at the same time as me and we stayed together until the top of Great Calva and then with one of his pacers up Blencathra.
The second leg I was with John who started at 0015 on an attempt of 51 at 51 and I stayed with him until he turned off to do Pavey Ark after Thunacar Knott on leg 3. I saw him and his crew intermittently until we climbed Yewbarrow but he fell behind going up Red Pike and I didnt see him after that.
I don't think he can have completed unless he overtook me without my seeing him but Patrick came home in a very impressive 21 hours and 51 minutes so congratulations to him. Thanks to both of them and their support teams who gave me great support on the fells and to everyone who helped me at the road crossings.
Full report to follow when I get back next week from what will now be my very relaxing holiday in the Lakes.

4 comments:

Ross said...

Well done Andrew - excellent effort. Hope you enjoy your relaxing week in the lakes.
I spent the weekend supporting a successful Ramsey round and I'm tempted now to give this a go - might be a bit far for you! Well done again cheers Ross Litherland - Macc Harriers

Marvin said...

Congratulations on your successful BG. Well done.

The Mad Runner said...

Congratulations Andy. I was one of Pat's support runners on leg 1, the one who got dettached from you and Pat at the top of Skiddaw but caught back up at the bottom. I'm pleased you made it. We were all keen to know how you faired. So well done.

Mick said...

Great News Andrew!

Really enjoyed reading your account and will have to go back to it to digest more. I was not surprised you had the energy (having tried to keep up on several occasions and struggled). Most impressive was how you managed to enjoy it and indeed how comfortable you are in the hills - even when alone. Wainwright would approve. Not bad for a road runner!
Proud to have had a (small) part in the build up.
Marvelous!!!!